Sunday, February 17, 2013

Bookshelf Beautification

Hello Friends! I hope you all had an amazing Valentine's Day!

So I could apologize for being so absent and swear I'll be back more often. But we all know that I've not done well with these things. Law school takes up so much of my life. So I'm just going to jump to my most recent project.

As you might remember, I fell in love with YHL's book and all of its projects. Remember this one?


Faux wallpapering a bookshelf, a great way to add some happiness and color to a boring functional piece of furniture.

Here are my sad, plain Target bookshelves in my living room.

(forgive the yellow cord, it was plugged into my bluray player so I could watch my 800th episode of West Wing on Netflix)

(I had already started emptying before I realized I hadn't taken a picture)

So, a few weeks ago I went off to my local craft store and picked up some on sale fabric and some foam board.  Along with a measuring tape, some scissors, and a stapler, that's all you need for this project.


Seriously--that's it. Couldn't be simpler. And as I realized half way thru, this is basically the exact same process as my jewelry board tutorials. Except this one has an extra step--you have to measure the inside of the bookshelf and cut the foam board accordingly. That's it. So, after you've cut the foam board to size, you just wrap the board in fabric and staple.


Then you just pop the boards in the back of the shelf. Repeat six times. And I ended up with these puppies-



They're not quite as pretty as the YHL bookshelves. Unfortunately, I'm in my 5th year of higher education and live in an 800 square foot apartment, so my bookshelves have to practical, not just decorative. But I think they're pretty cute and happy and it was a quick little project.

So, what have you all been up to? Any fun and simple projects keeping you busy?

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great idea and the possibilities are endless!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Ashley Rane Sparks
    www.makeitrane.com

    ReplyDelete